Charles P. White
NASA / Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
Subject Matter Expert Virtual Worlds
Principle Investigator Second Life Technical Infusion and Selection Project
Program Administrator JPL Spacecraft Problem Reporting System (PRS)
I work at the Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL) because I was inspired by Dr. Carl Sagans television show Cosmos. While employed at JPL, I met Dr. Sagan and had a chance to have a heart to heart talk, where Dr. Sagan expressed his gratitude that his TV show had inspired someone into the space sciences. During my 20 years at JPL I was the Matrix Mathematics Toolsmith for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and provide the needed software tools that the navigators, scientists and engineers use to fly space missions.
Today, I am the Program Manager for the JPL Spacecraft Problem Reporting System (PRS) that is used to report all flight, pre-flight, and development problems with all JPL spacecraft. I am also exploring the use of Virtual Worlds as an innovative way to design future spacecraft through collaboration.
I am married with two adult children, two horses and two cats. I enjoy astronomy, competition airsoft shooting, and model railroading. I am also a music composer and have created and performed 8 soundtracks for JPL mini-documentaries and in so doing won a Silver Telly award for composition in a non-profit documentary. I am Native American of the Ojibway People and I am very active in my culture and intertribal events.
I volunteer my spare time with the U.S. Forest Service as a Patrol Ranger and Fire Lookout.
- President Bush: President's Call to Service Award (Lifetime)
- Native American: Warriors Medal of Valor
- NASA: Multiple Flight Team Project Awards
- United States Navy League - Life Member
- California State Firefighters - Life Member
- see http://zipcodemars.jpl.nasa.gov/bio-contribution-personal.cfm?bid=450&cid=346&pid=333&page=&country_id=&state_id=
- See http://www.cpwf.org/fire/lookout.html
- See http://www.indigenouspeople.net/white.htm
- see: http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/ltc/bios/charley_white.html
"Measure my wealth not in cash... rather, in people that call me their friend. They make me truly rich. I owe them many favors, and they owe me. It is intangible commerce where a poor man shames us all.", Charles White