ONION Project Home Page
Most Critical Task(s) At Hand
- ... Publish the Business Of Information Technology Ontology using open source Adaptive Public License V 1.0'...
- ...First ONION project review conference call - OnionProjectConferenceCall_2006_12_18...
Key Date(s) to Note
- ... April 2007 The first formal release of the Business Of Information Technology Ontology is to be published under an open source Adaptive Public License V 1.0...
The ONION (ONtologies In ONtology) is an open source semantic reference tool for the Business Of Information Technology which uses many terms that have novel or dual meanings. It is structured as a Community of Practice (COP) ontology that has multiple, domain specific, layers. The content of each layer is scoped by the set of IT topics that are relevant to a particular Community of Interest (COI) or Community of Action (COA).
The foundational layers of the ONION are aligned with the public specifications of:
- IT Service Management Best Practice e.g. ISO 20000, ITIL
- IT Control Frameworks e.g. ISACA COBIT
- Information Security e.g. ISO / IEC 27001, ISO 17799
- IT Auditor Control Objectives e.g. COSO
- SOA (Service Oriented Architecture) e.g. OASIS BCM (Business Centric Methodology)
Acknowledging that ontologies are excellent classification schemas, the ONION core uses explicit links to controlled vocabularies as they become publicly available:
- IT Infrastructure (Classes, properties, methods, values) e.g. Common Information Model
- Open Source Components (XML elements, attributes) e.g. ET.gov
In addition to the Ontolog IPR Policy, the ONION COP employs the OASIS RF on Limited Terms IPR Policy
Deliverables & Deadlines
IT Service Management Ontology Layer
IT Control Framework Ontology Layer
Information Security Ontology Layer
IT Auditor Control Objectives Ontology Layer
SOA (Service Oriented Architecture) Ontology Layer
- ... First draft of the reference model contains the proposed relationships for SOA (Service Oriented Architecture) and IT Service Management is stored on the ONION shared-file workspace as:
- ...January First COP Reviewed Draft ...
- Carl Mattocks (Project Lead)
- To Post to project mailing list: mailto:email@example.com
- Discussion Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/onion-forum/
- Project Wiki homepage: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ONION (this page)
- Shared-file workspace: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/ONION/
- ...OASIS BCM V1.0 specifications http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/17942/BCM.OASIS.Specification.2006-05-01.zip
- ...draft of the reference model can be found at ONION shared-file workspace as:
Conference Call, Meeting & Workshop
- ...(list and link to agenda & proceedings pages here)...
- First ONION project review conference call - OnionProjectConferenceCall_2006_12_18
- Tutorial on Collaborating at Ontolog - TutorialSession_2006_11_16
- Project first proposed at Ontolog Planning Session - http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_10_05#nidQIU