Robert J. Rovetto
Robert is a formal ontologist, philosopher, and interdisciplinary researcher open to work and study opportunities globally. Output includes ontologies (and other types of knowledge organization systems), and over 40 written works & presentations since 2011, including (inter)national standards, national agency manuals, reports, proposals; as well as collaborative projects including open data/science. Focus areas include: conceptual modeling & analysis; terminology; knowledge representation; highly abstract concepts; foundational or top-level ontology; development methodology & governance; and ethics of/in ontology & AI; topics in (meta)metaphysics and broader philosophical branches. Disciplinary focus areas for applying ontology include: aerospace, maritime, and emergency response. Relevant activities and content are listed below. You can Directly hire for selected services or Purchase products at this webpage.
Projects that need your support (Donate via PayPal or via GoGetFunding)
- Ontology 101 - The Ontology Guidebook & Ontology Development Guidelines - a broad and introductory manual on ontology, and an in-progress development method
- Catalog of Definitions of 'Ontology'
- Categories of Types of Ontology
- A redefinition of 'ontology' and cognate terms
- Pros and Cons of various types of Knowledge organization systems
- (Diagram) The Ontology Landscape in a Broader Context: AI, etc.
- How to create a top-level ontology
- Terminology & Semantic Harmonization Workflow / A Generic KOS Workflow
- Facts and Fictions & Clarifying concepts (in Ontology-related topics)
- Myths of Ontology Development and Use
- The Knowledge in Knowledge Engineering
- The edge of what? or What the edge?
- - - Contact me for full list of content you can buy - -
- Ethical aspects of ontology development and use
- Sample paper
- Sister paper in-progress (pending support, and seeking co-authors). Contact to express interest in co-authoring.
- Space ontology project
- Desired as one possible PhD project for myself (documentation of ideation & work since 2009 available on request)
- Donate: via GoGetFunding, or via Patreon, or via PayPal
- Catalog of Space Vocabularies & Knowledge Organization Systems
- Catalog of Spaceflight Terms
- The Ontology of NASA's Science Mission Directorate
- Ontology of Causality - exploring the intersection of causality, spatio-temporality, and mereology
- The U.S. Government Open Data Ontology
- The Ethics of Open (Data, Science, Source Projects)
- Ethical aspects of volunteers and volunteerism
Purchase Ontology Products/Resources
- "Introduction to Generic Ontologies" presentation (2018, presented to University of Koblenz)
- "Myths of Ontology Development and Use" (PowerPoint presentation)
- "Ethical Aspects of Ontology Development & Use" (Presentation document)
- "Ontology", PowerPoint presentation at NASA Datanauts 2017 session
- Various presentations on ontology for space (at conferences and events since 2015)
- A survey of biomedical ontologies (Presentation document, modification of a 2012 presentation)
For hire / Open to Opportunities
Willing to relocate internationally. Authorized to work in EU & US, with special interest in Canada.
- Open to regular employment, temp, consulting or contract roles. Open to any level: junior, entry-, mid, apprenticeship.
- Open to educational opportunities as PhD student. Will consider lesser degree.
- Direct hire webpage for ontology consulting
- Searching for formal support for my space ontology project and other projects.
- International experience, bilingual, MBSE, and Agile team experience
Written works (sample)
- ORCID Profile
- GoogleScholar Page
- ResearcherID (old link)
- Sample Presentation: "A generic name for the most generic ontologies" (PPT) at 2022 IAOA SWAO group meeting.
- Buy a copy at this webpage link.
- Description of Some Services (PPT)
- Description of Pay-per Courses (PPT)
Education & Training
- M.A. Philosophy, with applied ontology focus, and courses from multiple departments; State University of New York.
- B.A. Philosophy, with Minor in Business & Management w/Information Technology focus; University of Maryland.
- Graduate coursework toward M.S. in Space Studies; AMU (paused)
- Training & Expertise in (cv available on request): Maritime operations, water search & rescue. Certified commercial merchant marine.
Service Activities (sample)
- Contributor to OntologySummit Communique 2023
- Contributor & committee member of Ontology Summit 2022. Presenter and co-champion/co-organizer of session Aerospace and Maritime Disasters part 1 and part 2.
- Contributing member of OntologForum since approximately 2010.
- Contributing member of Education Technical Committee (See this new webpage), in the International Association for Ontology and its Applications (IAOA)
- Co-organizer of the first Education Series on Applied Ontology.
- Contributing member of Semantic Web & Applied Ontology Special Interest Group in the [https://iaoa.org/ IAOA
- Contributing member of Semantic Technology Committee, and other groups in Earth Science Information Partners (2019-present)
- Contributing member participant of OntoCommons
- Poster presentations: "The Ethics of Ontology", and "A Space Industry Ontology Suite" (13 June 2023)
- Contributing subject-matter expert national-body member in Information Technology committee of International Organization for Standardization (ISO) (approx. 2017). Contributions to ISO21838.
- Contributed to two foundational/top-level ontologies (YAMATO, and BFO)
- Webmaster work for YAMATO ontology, and for RFM ontology
- Invited manuscript reviewer, Journal of Applied Ontology (2017, 2022)
- Invited manuscript reviewer, European Semantic Web Conference
- Ontology & terminology subject-matter expert in aerospace orgs. (2019-present)
- Emergency response & rescue community service
- Philosophy (general)
- Metaphysics: causality/causation, space & time, laws of nature, misc.
- Ethics & moral philosophy
- various topics in philosophy
- Symbolic logic
- Ontology (formal, theoretical, philosophical, applied)
- Generic/Foundational ontology & ontologies
- Methodological and ethical aspects of ontology and similar types of system
- MBSE - Model-based systems engineering
- Space: astronautics, astronomy, policy, law, spatio-temporality
- Marine safety, boat operations, search & rescue