The "Ontology Measurement and Evaluation" mini-series
This is a mini-series of talks and discussions that revolve around the topic: "Ontology Measurement and Evaluation" during which this community will explore the landscape, issues and solutions relating to the measurement, evaluation, quality and testing of ontologies.
The series is a Joint NIST-Ontolog-NCOR initiative. A planning meeting for this mini-series took place on 22-Aug-2006, during which the scope and plans for the program was discussed among members of the community. Dr. Steven Ray, who is the Chief of NIST's Manufacturing Systems Integration Division (MSID), a long time member of the Ontolog community, as well as the convener of NCOR's Ontology Evaluation Committee, was invited to champion the program. This series is expected to last about 6 months during which invited speaker and technical discussion events will be featured (at the rate of about one event per month).
Meeting & Event
- 2007.03.29 - Thursday, 29-March-2007 - Dr. Steven Ray (NIST) presented the 5th Event in the Joint NIST-Ontolog-NCOR "Ontology Evaluation & Measurement" Mini-Series - this was a panel session on the subject of "Probabilistic Reasoning and Ontology Evaluation" - Panelists: Professor Kenneth Baclawski, Professor Kathryn Blackmond Laskey, Dr. Paulo Costa & Dr. Terry Janssen ... Please refer to details at the session wiki page at: ConferenceCall_2007_03_29 ... Audio archives of the session is now available!
- 2007.02.22 - Thursday, 22-February-2007 - Dr. Steven Ray (NIST) presented the 4th Event in the Joint NIST-Ontolog-NCOR "Ontology Evaluation & Measurement" Mini-Series - Professor Michael Gruninger (University of Toronto) and Mr. Conrad Bock (NIST) were our invited speakers. They gave their talk on "Evaluating Reasoning Systems: Ontology Languages" ... Please refer to details at the session wiki page, at: ConferenceCall_2007_02_22 ... Audio archives of the session is now available!
- 2007.01.11 - Thursday, 11-January-2007 - Professor Werner Ceusters, from the Ontology Research Group (ORG) of the New York State Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics & Life Sciences at the State University of New York at Buffalo (USA), presented to the community his talk entitled: "Realism-based Change Management for Quality Assurance in Ontologies and Data Repositories" as the 3rd event in the "Ontology Measurement & Evaluation" Mini-Series ... Please refer to details at the session wiki page, at: ConferenceCall_2007_01_11 ... Audio archives of the session is now available!
- 2006.12.21 - Thursday, 21-December-2006 - Professor Barry Smith, from the University at Buffalo (New York, US) presented to the community his talk entitled: "Ontology Evaluation in Biomedicine: The OBO Foundry - A Gold Standard Approach to Ontology Evaluation" as the 2nd event in the "Ontology Measurement & Evaluation" Mini-Series ... Please refer to details at the session wiki page at: ConferenceCall_2006_12_21 ... Audio archives of the session is now available!
- 2006.10.19 - Thursday, 19-October-2006 - Joint NIST-Ontolog-NCOR "Ontology Measurement & Evaluation" Mini-Series Kick-off Session - Moderator / Keynote Speaker: Dr. Steven Ray (NIST) / Dr. Christopher A. Welty (IBM Research) - please refer to details on the session wiki page at: Thursday ConferenceCall_2006_10_19 ... Audio archive of the session is now available!
- 2006.08.22 - Planning Meeting
- Project wiki homepage (this page) - http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologyMeasurementEvaluation
- Discussion Forum - please continue to use the [ontolog-forum] as the conversation and discussion workspace for the time being.
- Shared-File Workspace: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologyMeasurementEvaluation/
Resource & Reference
- OntoClean: as described on the ontoworld wiki, see - http://ontoworld.org/wiki/Ontoclean
- OBO Foundry - http://obofoundry.org/
- "A Realism-Based Approach to the Evolution of Biomedical Ontologies" by Werner Ceusters & Barry Smith, 2006 - http://ontology.buffalo.edu/bfo/Versioning.pdf
- "Evaluating Reasoning Systems" by Conrad Bock, Michael Grüninger, Don Libes, Joshua Lubell & Eswaran Subrahmanian, 2006 - http://www.mel.nist.gov/msidlibrary/doc/NISTIR_7310.pdf
- ...(add content here)