Ontolog Forum

Ontology Summit 2007 Organizing Committee Meeting - Tue 2007.01.30

  • Topic: First Meeting (v1.1, continuation) of the full Organizing Committee for OntologySummit2007
  • Session Chair: SteveRay (NIST)

Conference Call Details

  • Date: Tuesday, January 30, 2007
  • Start Time: 8:00am PST / 11:00am EST / 5:00pm CET / 16:00 GMT/UTC
  • Expected Call Duration: 1.0 hours
  • Dial-in Number:
    • from a telephone (US): +1-605-475-8590 (South Dakota, USA)
    • from a phone (Europe): 0870-738-0763(UK) or 01805 00 7620 (Germany)
    • callers from other countries please dial into either one of the US or European numbers
    • Conference ID: "5823120#"
    • Direct call from from Skype: +990008275823120
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at:
    • view-only password: "ontolog"


  • Regrets:
    • DeborahMcGuinness (Stanford KSL)
    • Mark Musen (NCOR, NCBO, Stanford SMI)
    • Nicola Guarino (LOA-CNR.IT)

Agenda Ideas

  • ... (please post here; indentify yourself for follow-up purposes)

Agenda & Proceedings

1. Meeting called to order:

2. Roll Call:

3. Urgent Issues:

4. Outstanding Issues:

  • introduction among the members
  • aligning everyone's expectations as well as their understanding of our objectives

5. New Issues:

  • 2007.01.18 Launch Meeting postmortem
  • Organizing Committee Membership
    • missing responses / confirmations
    • more web 2.0 representation - maybe as convener; ping other organizing committee members for suggestion
      • David (and his friend Peter Merholv) suggested: Gene, Karen, Margaret, Chiara & Paolo
        • David will try to engage these people on our behalf (or see who else they would suggest)
      • invitations have since been extended to those individuals
      • as well as to PaolaDiMaio (current Ontolog member)
  • discussion: our deliverables
    • 3 months of virtual discourse
    • 3 half-day face-to-face technical workshop
      • (a) ...
      • (b) ...
      • (c) ...
    • a half-day open public meeting (with press)
    • a written communique
    • new: how about a poster? (--suggested: ppy / 2007.01.22)
  • discussion: our approach & process
    • Nicola: short position papers
      • Leo: hope the wiki page will help contain that ... with "gardeners" to administer them
    • David / Steve / Peter : defining ontologies should not be the goal here ... more like reaching an understanding of what each community refers to when they say "ontology"
      • Steve / David: think we should need to be "very approachable" and simple, at least at first encounter
    • Ivan: no need to draw distinction between EU and US semantic web communities
    • Ivan: Chris Welty is chairing a Rules working group that is also putting rules and reasoning into a similar framework
    • Ivan: be careful on the use of the word "ontology" because it scares away the layman ... I use "vocabulary", but that probably isn't the right word
      • Leo: I would make distinction between "terminology" and "ontology"
  • Assessment of current progress
    • seeding the discussion?
    • assigning / self-selecting thread moderators?
    • co-editor volunteers solicitation?
  • distributing the organizing chore
    • engaging participants from specific target communties
      • formal ontologist
      • XML community - OASIS - Peter to contact Patrick Gannon
      • semantic web communities
        • RDF community
        • OWL-DL (discription logic) community
        • OWL full community
      • the Applications Development community
        • database community
        • UML community - Steve: will ask Conrad Bock & Evan Wallace; Leo: Elisa Kendall too ... it's great that they all straddle both ontologies and object models
        • software engineering / programmer community
      • FOAF community - Ivan: it is spread out and no one seems to be leading now
      • Micro-Formats (GRDDL) community - ?
      • Concept Map community
      • SEARCH community - Chris Welty might point us to something given IBM's work in UIMA
        • statistical
        • semantic
      • wiki & semantic wiki community -
      • Web 2.0 community (social network, folksonomy) - David is championing
        • Ivan: suggesting again Tom Gruber - Peter: DeborahMcGuinness will be the person to help us, hopefully
          • Tom Gruber contacted and confirmed (--ppy/2007.02.01 with help from PatHayes)
      • Thesauri community - Christiane Fellbaum
      • metadata world / dublin core / SKOS / Librarians / Taxonomists / KM community - Denise Bedford; Ivan also suggests Thomas Baker
      • ISO-11179 folks - Frank Olken is our man
    • drafting the communique
    • ...
    • Leo: 10 dimensions (see 1/25/07 post); get people to post under an appropriate subject line
    • Olivier: take advantage of the wiki; list the things that we don't want to discussed
    • Peter: as Steve mentioned, I'll "garden" the wiki, but I'll need help

6. Any Other Business:

  • to get W3C's official involvement in this initiative, Ivan suggests:
    • contact Ian Jacobs <> who is the communications chair
    • mention that Chris and Ivan are already involved in the organizing committee
    • W3C might be more receptive to "co-sponsor" than "co-organizer"
  • Steve will make a post to get the conversation organized
  • Peter will send an invitation to Thomas Baker and refer him to Ivan

7. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:

  • it is agreed that the next meeting will be a 30-minute conference call starting at Tue 6-Feb-2007 8:30am PST / 11:30am EST / 5:30pm CET.
  • Regular Weekly Meetings:
    • choice of regular weekly sync-up call time slot - 30 minutes, starting: Tuesdays 8:30am PST / 11:30am EST
      • Nicola's preference Monday through Thursday 1:30~2:30pm EST / 10:30~11:30am PST / 7:30~8:30pm CET -- Thursdays are out because of a conflict with regularly scheduled Ontolog events
    • Deborah's suggested: Mon, Tue or Wednesdays, 11:30am~12:30pm EST / 8:30~9:30am PST / 5:30~6:30pm CET; sometimes i could make 8am PST / 11am EST / 5pm CET on friday
    • Steve: The one day I can't meet is Wednesdays after 1:30pm EST / 10:30am PST / 7:30pm CET
    • Ivan: Tuesday evening would be *ideal* for me at those times. Mondays and Wednesdays are not

possible *at all* at those times.

    • Peter: Tuesdays are ok now ... I have rescheduled other things to open up Tuesdays now.
  • Call adjourned at: 9:02am PST / 12:02pm EST


notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2007.01.30-9:02am PST

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.