|Session||Science on Schema.org|
|Date/Time||05 Apr 2023 16:00 GMT|
|9:00am PDT/12:00pm EDT|
|4:00pm GMT/5:00pm CST|
Ontology Summit 2023 Science on Schema.org
Helping scientific researchers make better use of ontologies
- Adam Shepherd Science on Schema.org Slides Video Recording
- Science on Schema.org provides guidance for repository operators and others to follow consistent conventions to provide schema.org markup in Dataset landing pages to improve data discovery through search engines. This talk will introduce the how the project views schema.org as a tool for improved data discovery; why its necessary to have (more) guidance beyond the schema.org website, and what the current landscape of adoption looks like.
- Adam Shepherd is the Technical Director at the Biological and Chemical Oceanography Data Management Office where he works on improving access and discovery of long-tail, oceanographic research data for the National Science Foundation. Situated at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, his work focuses on sustainable, long-term data infrastructures. As co-creator of science-on-schema.org, he serves as the chair of the Earth Science Information Partners schema.org cluster and as co-chair of the Research Metadata Schemas Working Group at the Research Data Alliance. These initiatives seek to guide the scientific data repositories toward adoption of schema.org for improved search and discovery of research outputs. https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashep15/
- In addition Frank Loebe will be announcing the School for Acquiring & deepening knowledge in ontology (foundations, applications, related areas) to be held in Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada on 10-14 July 2023 https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1BFWJfs526j4TuOXG1oA5NpLJhFGgIRYUP66x2xIwoxo/edit?usp=sharing
Conference Call Information
- Date: Wednesday, 05 Apr 2023
- Start Time: 9:00am PDT / 12:00pm EDT / 6:00pm CEST / 5:00pm BST / 1600 UTC
- ref: World Clock
- Expected Call Duration: 1 hour
- Video Conference URL
- Conference ID: 837 8041 8377
- Passcode: 323309
- Chat Room
The unabbreviated URLs are:
- Conference URL: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83780418377?pwd=MlRFTHJQclRBd3RhYVl3aG1rTHJOQT09
- Chat room: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/ontology_summit_2023
- Alexander Diehl
- Alex Shkotin
- Andrea Westerinen
- Asiyah Lin
- Chris Kindermann
- Frank Loebe
- Gary Berg-Cross
- James Overton
- Janet Singer
- Ken Baclawski
- Marcia Zeng
- Mark Ressler
- Mike Bennett
- Nancy Wiegand
- Ravi Sharma
- Rhiannon Cameron
- Ronglin Wang
[12:05] RaviSharma: welcome everyone
[12:08] FrankLoebe: Dear all, thanks for allowing me some words about ISAO 2023!
Link to the ISAO 2023 Website: https://fois2023.griis.ca/isao-2023/
Link to the slides I showed (might be updated in the future): https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1BFWJfs526j4TuOXG1oA5NpLJhFGgIRYUP66x2xIwoxo/edit?usp=sharing
[12:13] RaviSharma: How different are actionable fields in science data vs those in science datasets, I would think a lot?
[12:18] RaviSharma: schema.org is it semantically acceptable vocabulary and how well is it kept updated in meaning of terms?
[12:23] Mike Bennett: schema.org terms are polysemic.
[12:26] RaviSharma: browsing the website on schema.org at least the listed classes appear to be high level, are these drilled down in extensions?
[12:30] Wang, Ronglin: any feedback/coordination of your effort with repositories like NCBI?
[12:33] RaviSharma: does dot md mean metadata?
[12:34] Chris Mungall: markdown (As in .md is a suffix for markdown format)
[12:35] NancyW: What level of detail can be asked with schema.org when applied to a science data set. E.g., for a hotel, you can inquire about hours or reserve a room. For a soils or ocean or whatever dataset, how low a level of question can you ask?
[12:40] Gary Berg-Cross: @Adam - what if anything is the relation or potential relation to WikiData?
[12:46] Asiyah: Ronglin, can you share with me your email? The GEO uses a minimum information about a microarray MIAM standard to collect metadata, but collecting metadata in a structured way from the data entry point needs systematic change of the interface redesign. This can be long term project.
[12:51] NancyW: Thanks Gary
[12:56] RaviSharma: Adam explained different elements of oceaninfoset and answered that Pierre will answer how far are we from KG and ontology solutions?
[12:56] RaviSharma: Gary had similar KG questions
[12:57] RaviSharma: Many thanks
|ConferenceCall 2023 03 29||Synthesis|
|ConferenceCall 2023 03 22||Wikidata|
|ConferenceCall 2023 03 21||Wikidata|
|... further results|
|ConferenceCall 2023 04 12||Panel|
|ConferenceCall 2023 04 19||Ontology Development|
|ConferenceCall 2023 04 26||Synthesis|
|... further results|