Ontolog Forum

Ontology Summit 2007 Organizing Committee Conference Call - Tuesday 27-Mar-2007

  • This session will a 30-minute conference call starting at Tue 27-Mar-2007 8:30am PDT / 11:30am EDT / 5:30pm CET / 15:30 GMT/UTC
  • Session Chair:

Conference Call Details

  • Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2007
  • Start Time: 8:30am PDT / 11:30am EDT / 5:30pm CET / 15:30 GMT/UTC
  • Expected Call Duration: 30 minutes
  • Dial-in Number:
    • from US: +1-605-475-8590 (South Dakota, USA)
    • from Europe, call:
      • Belgium 070-35-9989
      • France 0826-100-277
      • Germany 01805-00-7649
      • Ireland 0818-270-034
      • Italy 0848-390-175
      • Switzerland 0848-560-195
      • UK 0870-738-0763
    • callers from other countries please dial into either one of the US or European numbers
    • Conference ID: "5823120#"
    • Direct call from from Skype: +990008275823120
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at:
    • view-only password: "ontolog"


  • Expecting: ( * = not yet confirmed whether he/she will be dialing-in)
    • BarrySmith* (NCOR, SUNY-Buffalo)
    • DeborahMcGuinness* (Stanford KSL)
    • FrankOlken* (NSF)
    • MarkMusen* (NCOR, NCBO, Stanford SMI)
    • NicolaGuarino* (LOA-CNR.IT)
  • Regrets:
    • Chris Welty - standing regrets for the Tue time slot
    • Tom Gruber - standing regrets for the Tue time slot; also, on plane this time
    • Ivan Herman - (on trip)
    • Steve Ray (at the dentist)

Agenda Ideas

  • finalize on the speaker invitations for the 4/23 & 24 F2F sessions
  • follow-up on the survey
  • Discuss - what could ensure us that we are bringing "value" to the community-at-large, with this "Ontology Summit 2007" endeavor?
  • organizing committee structure and protocol - distributing the workload
  • getting organized to get dialogs from representatives of other constituencies (other than formal ontologists) going - review/add/comment on list of people who could represent various constituencies and contribute to providing their input and perspectives
  • getting organized to summarize/synthesize the mailing list discussions on the wiki - devoting part of the 15-Feb-2007 Ontolog weekly call to do it with Summit conveners
  • ... (please post here; indentify yourself for follow-up purposes)

Agenda & Proceedings

... (Final Agenda Coming ... what's captured here is mainly from last week)

1. Meeting called to order:

2. Roll Call:

3. Urgent Issues:

  • Peter: survey reminder/follow-up messages clustering various constituencies are out

HCLS interest group co-chairs: Eric Neumann, Tonya Hongsermeier; Susie Stephens (BioRDF taskforce), Vipul Kashyap (BioONT taskforce); also need to engage more European folks

    • 'Communique' session: suggested speakers - Olivier Bodenreider, Frank Olken, Charles Turnitsa, Kurt Conrad, Bob Smith, Ken Baclawski, Steve Ray, Alan Rector, Chris Chute, need to engage more European folks
    • Symposium session: suggested speakers - Steve Ray, Nicola Guarino, Tom Gruber, chairs representing the workshop deliberation, someone from Europe, PeterBrown? ...
    • Leo and Olivier will forward our survey message to some of the folks listed above who are new to the initiative (today); copy [ontology-summit-org] for follow-up
    • Co-chairs should finalize their list and invite speakers ASAP (so that these speakers can make plans to join us and prepare their briefings.)
  • Steve Ray: just emerged work priorities have now impacted my ability to devote more time to helping the summit synthesis work, please note.
  • how can we effectively use the rest of the open Thursdays (Ontolog time slot) to help with the summit prep work before the f2f?
  • Discussion:
    • What could ensure us that we are bringing "value" to the community-at-large (or even the world-at-large), with this "Ontology Summit 2007" endeavor?

4. Outstanding Issues:

  • Session Planing:
    • scheduling and programming for the Apr. 23 & 24, 2007 face-to-face meetings and symposium
      • Monday am: "The Framework" (Agreeing to the final picture) - Co-chairs: Leo Obrst / Michael Grüninger
      • Monday pm: "Populating the Framework" (Endorsing the picture) - Co-chairs: Chris Welty / Tom Gruber
      • (Tueday early am: NIST Interoperability Week Plenary)
      • Tueday am: Finalizing the Communique - Co-Chair: Olivier Bodenreider / Frank Olken
      • Tueday pm: The Symposium (public meeting) - Co-Chair: Steve Ray / NicolaGuarino?
        • Keynote: Tom Gruber
        • Panel: ... (tbd)
          • ... we'll try to feature people who can represent the different perspectives of the various constituencies
          • also: a diverse representation (geographically)
          • and, most importantly, by merit ... based on quality and substantive contribution in the virtual discourse and synthesis phase.
(we are trying to come to conslusions even BEFORE the face-to-face)
  • drafting the communique - Olivier will try to get started with Frank on this. Issue, obviously is that the content has yet to emerge.
  • solicitng "co-sponsorship" - please endorse the initiative; they have to choose on the conclusion - Peter to do it - Peter will continue to work on this

5. New Issues:

6. Any Other Business:

7. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:

  • ALL: we will continue the discussion of today's agenda items on the [ontology-summit-org] list
  • Next Meeting: (candidate) unless otherwise re-scheduled (which we likely will) our next meeting will be a 30-minute conference call starting at Tue 03-Apr-2007 8:30am PDT / 11:30am EDT / 5:30pm CET / 15:30 UTC. (ref: world clock)
    • Steve Ray: can make the next one, but will be missing the Apr-10 call also.
  • Call adjourned at: 9:16 am PDT


notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2007.03.27-09:20 PDT

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.