Ontolog Forum

Ontology Summit 2007 Organizing Committee Conference Call - Tuesday 10-Apr-2007

  • This session will a 30-minute conference call starting at Tue 10-Apr-2007 8:30am PDT / 11:30am EDT / 5:30pm CET / 15:30 GMT/UTC

Conference Call Details

  • Date: Tuesday, April 10, 2007
  • Start Time: 8:30am PDT / 11:30am EDT / 5:30pm CET / 15:30 GMT/UTC
  • Expected Call Duration: 30 minutes
  • Dial-in Number:
    • from US: +1-605-475-8590 (South Dakota, USA)
    • from Europe, call:
      • Belgium 070-35-9989
      • France 0826-100-277
      • Germany 01805-00-7649
      • Ireland 0818-270-034
      • Italy 0848-390-175
      • Switzerland 0848-560-195
      • UK 0870-738-0763
    • callers from other countries please dial into either one of the US or European numbers
    • Conference ID: "5823120#"
    • Direct call from from Skype: +990008275823120
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at:
    • view-only password: "ontolog"


  • Expecting: ( * = not yet confirmed whether he/she will be dialing-in)
    • BarrySmith* (NCOR, SUNY-Buffalo)
    • MarkMusen* (NCOR, NCBO, Stanford SMI)
    • NicolaGuarino* (LOA-CNR.IT)

Agenda Ideas

  • finalize on the speaker invitations for the 4/23 & 24 F2F sessions and get the invitations out
    • Peter: how about sending out a blank invitation for 'conveners' to speak (requesting submission of title, abstract, and then slides on/before Fri 4/20.
    • Finalize symposium session agenda
  • ... (please post here; indentify yourself for follow-up purposes)

Agenda & Proceedings

1. Meeting called to order:

2. Roll Call:

3. Urgent Issues:

  • scheduling and programming for the Apr. 23 & 24, 2007 face-to-face meetings and symposium
    • Monday am: "The Framework" (Agreeing to the final picture) - Co-chairs: Leo Obrst / Michael Grüninger
    • Monday pm: "Populating the Framework" (Endorsing the picture) - Co-chairs: Chris Welty / Tom Gruber
    • (Tueday early am: NIST Interoperability Week Plenary)
    • Tueday am: Finalizing the Communique - Co-Chair: Olivier Bodenreider / Frank Olken
    • Tueday pm: The Symposium (public meeting) - Co-Chair: Steve Ray / DeborahMcGuinness
      • Keynote: Tom Gruber
      • Speakers (candidates): co-chairs of each of the workshops sessions (Frameowrk, Populating & Communique); co-chairs of this session: Steve Ray, DeborahMcGuinness; Chris Menzel (Ontology), Denise Bedford (Taxonomy), Tom Gruber (Folksonomy; keynote), Peter Brown (EU perspectives), ...
      • (updated) appointment of Steve Ray & DeborahMcGuinness as co-chairs of the Tuesday pm Symposium session
        • ... we'll try to feature people who can represent the different perspectives of the various constituencies
        • also: a diverse representation (geographically)
        • and, most importantly, by merit ... based on quality and substantive contribution in the virtual discourse and synthesis phase.
we need to come to some virtual consensus even BEFORE the face-to-face

HCLS interest group co-chairs: Eric Neumann, Tonya Hongsermeier; Susie Stephens (BioRDF taskforce), Vipul Kashyap (BioONT taskforce); also need to engage more European folks, ...

session co-chairs will make the call on how they will be running their session. Please make sure your speakers/panelists are in communication with you (and knows that they are "on"!)
  • finalize on the speaker invitations for the 4/23 & 24 F2F sessions and get the invitations out
    • Peter: how about sending out a blank invitation for 'conveners' to speak (requesting submission of title, abstract on/before Fri 4/20 and then slides on/before Fri 4/27, if accepted to present.)
      • Peter: suggested criteria - (i) have contributed to the forum discourse (with at least 3 posts), or (ii) have submitted their survey response, or (iii) member of the organizing committee, or (iv) invited by a member of the organizing committee.
      • Steve / Leo: open invitation is good; we need to have a process to make sure we have a good flow on our workshop program. Could have people on a panel too (not just a formal presentation)
      • Steve will send this out to [ontology-summit], organizing commmittee members can forward this
    • finalize symposium chair/co-chair & program/agenda - see above
  • discuss the processing of the OntologySummit2007_Survey and forum discussion inputs, and to coordinate on the preparation for the Apr-23 & 24 Summit face-to-face workshops.
    • Peter: devoting part of the 12-Apr-2007 Ontolog weekly call to do it with Summit conveners. Please come, if possible.
  • Discussion:
    • What could ensure us that we are bringing "value" to the community-at-large (or even the world-at-large), with this "Ontology Summit 2007" endeavor?
      • Steve: focus on the deliverables - and what will 'last' (even after all the discussions and the meetings) - that, possibly, could be the 'framework' that everyone could use in the future

4. Outstanding Issues:

  • Outstanding Issue Update:
    • Public Relations & The Press - Steve taking this on
      • Steve already working on a pre-event press release; hopefully one or two articles out before the F2F
    • co-sponsor call
    • convener call
      • "co-sponsorship" - those who confirmed via the survey has been updated to the wiki already.
      • Peter: will do one more round of calls, especially to 'co-sponsors' from last year's UpperOntologySummit and to all 'conveners' this year
    • communique endorsement call
      • Peter: this part was messed up in the survey. I'll make a post to the forum to straighten it out before the F2F.

5. New Issues:

6. Any Other Business:

  • Action Items:
    • Deborah, Leo & Michael to get in touch and start drafting the "framework"
    • Tom and Chris to get in touch with each other (if you haven't alerady) and get started on "populating"
    • Olivier & Frank are in touch now and will get started on drafting the "communique"
    • Peter to roll up the survey database and send it to Ken Baclawski for analysis,; also post it (for open access) so that the session co-chairs sice-and-dice the collected data and make use of them too
    • Since we only have 2 more organizing committee calls (Apr-10 & 17) and two available slots on the Ontolog Thursday conference call (Apr-5 & 19) where we can involve others in the community, please pitch in some ideas on how we could optimally use these time slots to advance the process in preparation for the Apr-23 & 24 face-to-face meetings.
    • Asked where should one start (to catch up) - Peter answered, from the top of the Ontology Summit 2007 project home page -

7. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:

  • ALL: we will continue the discussion of today's agenda items on the [ontology-summit-org] list
  • Next Meeting: since this will be the last organizing committee call before the face-to-face, suggest do a 1-Hour session. Therefore unless otherwise re-scheduled (which we likely will) our next meeting will be a 60-minute conference call starting at Tue 17-Apr-2007 8:00am PDT / 11:00am EDT / 5:00pm CET / 15:00 UTC. (ref: world clock)
    • Peter P. Yim will be in conference all day Apr-17; but will make an attempt to call-in
    • Olivier Bodenreider will be out of town next week, and will try calling in
    • Frank Olken will be out of the office (at the same meeting as Olivier), but will try to call in
  • Call adjourned at: 9:00 am PDT


notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2007.04.10-09:12 PDT

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.