Ontolog Forum

Ontology Summit 2007 Organizing Committee Conference Call - Tuesday 17-Apr-2007

  • This session will a 1-hour conference call starting at Tue 17-Apr-2007 8:00am PDT / 11:00am EDT / 5:00pm CET / 15:00 GMT/UTC

Conference Call Details

  • Date: Tuesday, April 17, 2007
  • Start Time: 8:00am PDT / 11:00am EDT / 5:00pm CET / 15:00 GMT/UTC
  • Expected Call Duration: 1.0 Hour
  • Dial-in Number:
    • from US: +1-605-475-8590 (South Dakota, USA)
    • from Europe, call:
      • Belgium 070-35-9989
      • France 0826-100-277
      • Germany 01805-00-7649
      • Ireland 0818-270-034
      • Italy 0848-390-175
      • Switzerland 0848-560-195
      • UK 0870-738-0763
    • callers from other countries please dial into either one of the US or European numbers
    • Conference ID: "5823120#"
    • Direct call from from Skype: +990008275823120
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at:
    • view-only password: "ontolog"


  • Expecting: ( * = not yet confirmed whether he/she will be dialing-in)
    • Olivier Bodenreider (NLM, NIH)
    • LeoObrst* (Ontolog, MITRE)
    • Frank Olken (NSF)
    • IvanHerman* (W3C)
    • BarrySmith* (NCOR, SUNY-Buffalo)
    • MarkMusen* (NCOR, NCBO, Stanford SMI)

Agenda Ideas

  • Peter: suggest we invite all F2F session chairs, and all symposium presenter to this call to do a sync-up
  • Peter: suggest we do another final sync-up this Thursday, at the Ontolog weekly call 2007.04.19-10:30am PDT, along with all F2F meeting session organizers and presenters/panelists
  • ... (please post here; indentify yourself for follow-up purposes)

Agenda & Proceedings

1. Meeting called to order:

  • Steve Ray took the chair and welcomed everyone

2. Roll Call:

3. Urgent Issues to be covered today:

  • substituting Chris
    • Tom actually doesn't mind running that session by himself
  • finalize on all details before the 4/23 & 24 F2F sessions
    • registration status review
      • on-site registrants - ~40 now [Steve]
      • remote registrants - see: OntologySummit2007/RemoteAttendees
        • not a lot of remote registrant yet ... Peter to make one more post to the lists to remind people.
    • tie down program / speakers/ panelists for all workshop sessions
    • sync-up with all symposium presenters
    • overview of draft 'survey input', 'framework', 'population' & 'communique'
    • final logistic details
      • plenary is Tue 9:00~10:30am
      • session-3 Tue 8:00~8:50am then 10:40am~12:00noon (with plenary in between)
      • building, room, ... maps - all session at Lecture Room D of the Main Building
      • dial-in: tolled vs. toll-free calls; supporting skype?
        • Peter / Steve: will try to bridge from the NIST line into the normal Ontolog bridge (so that skype callls can be supported too)
      • audio recording
      • getting together - Sunday (4/22) evening? Monday (4/23) morning?
    • co-sponsor calls - Buffalo(?), U.Toronto-Yes(MG) (like last year)
    • presenters: Adrian Walker (2), Pat Cassidy (2), PaolaDiMaio (1), BillMcCarthy (OT-Steve to contact Bill), Peter P. Yim (1), BarrySmith-WernerCeusters (1), Ken Baclawski (2)
  • Discussion notes:
    • request 'framework' dialog be done on the [ontology-summit-org] list
      • Peter to add Michael to the list

4. Status of developing issues:

(following is where we left off as of the 2007.04.10 call)

  • scheduling and programming for the Apr. 23 & 24, 2007 face-to-face meetings and symposium
    • Monday am: "The Framework" (Agreeing to the final picture) - Co-chairs: Leo Obrst / Michael Grüninger
    • Monday pm: "Populating the Framework" (Endorsing the picture) - Chairs: Tom Gruber
    • (Tueday early am: NIST Interoperability Week Plenary)
    • Tueday am: Finalizing the Communique - Co-Chair: Olivier Bodenreider / Frank Olken
    • Tueday pm: The Symposium (public meeting) - Co-Chair: Steve Ray / DeborahMcGuinness
      • Keynote: Tom Gruber
      • Speakers (candidates): co-chairs of each of the workshops sessions (Frameowrk, Populating & Communique); co-chairs of this session: Steve Ray, DeborahMcGuinness; Chris Menzel (Ontology), Denise Bedford (Taxonomy), Tom Gruber (Folksonomy; keynote), Peter Brown (EU perspectives), ...
      • (updated) appointment of Steve Ray & DeborahMcGuinness as co-chairs of the Tuesday pm Symposium session
        • ... we'll try to feature people who can represent the different perspectives of the various constituencies
        • also: a diverse representation (geographically)
        • and, most importantly, by merit ... based on quality and substantive contribution in the virtual discourse and synthesis phase.
we need to come to some virtual consensus even BEFORE the face-to-face

HCLS interest group co-chairs: Eric Neumann, Tonya Hongsermeier; Susie Stephens (BioRDF taskforce), Vipul Kashyap (BioONT taskforce); also need to engage more European folks, ...

session co-chairs will make the call on how they will be running their session. Please make sure your speakers/panelists are in communication with you (and knows that they are "on"!)
  • finalize on the speaker invitations for the 4/23 & 24 F2F sessions and get the invitations out
    • Peter: how about sending out a blank invitation for 'conveners' to speak (requesting submission of title, abstract on/before Fri 4/20 and then slides on/before Fri 4/27, if accepted to present.)
      • Peter: suggested criteria - (i) have contributed to the forum discourse (with at least 3 posts), or (ii) have submitted their survey response, or (iii) member of the organizing committee, or (iv) invited by a member of the organizing committee.
      • Steve / Leo: open invitation is good; we need to have a process to make sure we have a good flow on our workshop program. Could have people on a panel too (not just a formal presentation)
      • Steve will send this out to [ontology-summit], organizing commmittee members can forward this
    • finalize symposium chair/co-chair & program/agenda - see above
  • discuss the processing of the OntologySummit2007_Survey and forum discussion inputs, and to coordinate on the preparation for the Apr-23 & 24 Summit face-to-face workshops.
    • Peter: devoting part of the 12-Apr-2007 Ontolog weekly call to do it with Summit conveners. Please come, if possible.
  • Discussion:
    • What could ensure us that we are bringing "value" to the community-at-large (or even the world-at-large), with this "Ontology Summit 2007" endeavor?
      • Steve: focus on the deliverables - and what will 'last' (even after all the discussions and the meetings) - that, possibly, could be the 'framework' that everyone could use in the future
  • Outstanding Issue Update:
    • Public Relations & The Press - Steve taking this on
      • Steve already working on a pre-event press release; hopefully one or two articles out before the F2F
    • co-sponsor call
      • Peter: will do one more round of calls, especially to 'co-sponsors' from last year's UpperOntologySummit and to all 'conveners' this year - done!
      • "co-sponsorship" - those who confirmed via the survey has been updated to the wiki already.
    • communique endorsement call
      • Peter: this part was messed up in the survey. I'll make a post to the forum to straighten it out before the F2F. - done!
  • Action Items:
    • Deborah, Leo & Michael to get in touch and start drafting the "framework" - in progress, along with Tom & Pat Hayes
    • Olivier & Frank are in touch now and will get started on drafting the "communique"
    • Peter to roll up the survey database and send it to Ken Baclawski for analysis,; also post it (for open access) so that the session co-chairs sice-and-dice the collected data and make use of them too - done, long with KenBaclawski!
      • note that we'll be devoting part of this Thursday's (17-Apr-2007) Ontolog weekly call to do a final sync-up for the Apr-23 & 24 Summit face-to-face workshops. (see: ConferenceCall_2007_04_19) ... come if you can.
    • Peter to make a post to [ontology-summit] to ask everyone involved to come join us on Thursday if they can.

5. New Issues:

6. Any Other Business:

7. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:

  • ALL: we can do one more final sync-up this Thursday, at the Ontolog weekly call 2007.04.19 10:30am PDT / 1:30pm EDT / 7:30pm CET, along with all F2F meeting session organizers and presenters/panelists - details at: ConferenceCall_2007_04_19
  • Call adjourned at: 8:48 am PDT ... see you at the face-to-face in Gaithersburg!


notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2007.04.17-8:50 PDT

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.