Ontolog Forum

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2008-06-20

OpenOntologyRepository team conference call, Fri 2008.06.20, 1.0~1.5 Hr. call starting 12:00pm EDT / 9:00am PDT / 16:00 UTC

Conference Call Details

  • Date: Friday, June 20, 2008
  • Start Time: 12:00pm EDT / 9:00am PDT / 16:00 UTC
  • Expected Call Duration: 1.0~1.5 hours
  • Dial-in Number:
    • Direct call from from Skype: +990008275823120
    • When calling in from a phone, use Conference ID: "5823120#"
    • from a US telephone (US): +1-605-475-8590 (South Dakota, USA)
    • from Europe, call:
      • Austria 0820-4000-1574
      • Belgium 070-35-9989
      • France 0826-100-277
      • Germany 01805-00-7649
      • Ireland 0818-270-034
      • Italy 0848-390-175
      • Netherlands 0870-001-932
      • Spain 0902-886-051
      • Switzerland 0848-560-195
      • UK 0870-738-0763
    • callers from other countries please dial into either one of the US or European numbers
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session) will be started 5 minutes before the call at:
    • view-only password: "ontolog"
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.


  • Expecting:
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...

Agenda Ideas

  • Peter: establishing our short-term action plans
  • Peter / Leo / Mike: a possible "Prototype Review: Synergies and Gaps" session - Jun-27 or Jul-11?
  • Funding approaches

(please insert your suggested agenda items here)

Agenda & Proceedings

1. Meeting called to order:

  • review and adopt agenda

2. Roll Call:

3. Status Review and Discussion:

  • Urgent issues:
  • Logistics and Communications
  • Discussions:
Further to the discussion at our May-9 call and subsequent announcement, breakout subgroups will report back on their discussions/recommendations in the following four major areas:
  • Short-term Planning - Mike Dean with Leo Obrst & Peter P. Yim
    • Mike: no update for now
    • for those who want to contribute code, please start by creating an account on SemWebCentral, that way, Mike can add them to the project.
    • K: suggest linking the OOR project repository at SemWebCentral as a "semantic web tool"
  • Resource & Funding - Ken Baclawski
    • Ken: submitted an NIH proposal earlier, and got a pretty good score - '154 (out of 500) with 1~150 being 'must fund.'
    • Mike / Peter: reminding everyone of Mike's earlier suggestion (in his summit roadmap presentation) that we all try to submit proposals making reference to 'OOR' to build up a momentum
      • Mike: when we have more of these, we can have a webpage listing them
    • More (possible) funding sources:
      • Frank: DoDAF would be a possible funding source
      • Michelle: DoJ and DHS, NIEM in particular, too
      • K: check out HSIN (Homeland Security Information Network)
    • Ken: OOR being infrastructure ... proposals for government grants would probably need to be made in relation to projects that meet specific grant criteria (and not proposed as 'OOR' per se)
      • Frank cited an interesting example from an earlier Protege conference (2005), and would find the presentation to share with everyone - Frank will post to [oor-forum]
      • Ken / Michelle / etc. - just "interoperability" is already 'saleable' ... outside of the academic research arena
    • Ken will share the language he used as a reference to the rest of the team
    • Ken: consider levels of participation - stratification and what that entails - will talk about this at the next call
  • Organization & Process - Peter P. Yim with Leo Obrst & Mike Dean
    • locking in Jun-27 to do our "Prototype Review: Synergies and Gaps" - Fri 2008.06.27 - 2.0~2.5 Hr starting 9:00am PDT / 12:00 noon EDT / 16:00 UTC
      • Peter will announce this over the weekend
      • We'll use Mike's OOR-protype as a spring board to solicit input from key code contributors on "Synergies and Gaps"
      • parties we (Peter / Leo / Mike) have in mind, currently, include:
        • DAML
        • BioPortal (include OMV as they are already in collaboration)
        • NeOn / OMV
        • CODS
        • XMDR
        • OMG
        • CL (working group)
        • BBN
        • CIM3
        • anyone else we have left out? ... please suggest
          • looks like we might miss the OMG people on 6/27 (as they are meeting in Ottawa around that date.)
    • Peter: remind everyone to use [oor-forum] list, even if its a subgroup conversation
      • that way, we can (a) keep everyone on the same page, and (b) have the content archived.
      • consider prefixing the subject line in case of a subgroup conversation, so people not really interested can just scan or skip over those messages

4. New Issues:

5. Any Other Business:

6. Action items:

  • our short-term plan:
    • tasks
    • deliverables
    • Timeline / Milestones:

7. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:

  • Next Meeting:
    • next OOR-team meeting Fri 2008.07.11 - 1.0~1.5 Hr. starting 12:00noon EDT / 9:00am PDT - see: OOR/ConferenceCall_2008_07_11 (closer to the time)
    • Note: earlier resolution: all team members please (if possible) block out Fridays 1.5 Hr starting 12:00pm EDT / 9:00am PDT / 16:00 GMT/UTC
  • Call adjourned at: 10:10 am PDT


notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2008.06.20-10:16am PDT

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.