Ontolog Forum

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2009-01-09

OpenOntologyRepository team conference call, Fri 2009.01.09, 1.0~1.5 Hr. call starting 12:00pm EST / 9:00am PST / 6pm CET / 17:00 UTC

Conference Call Details

  • Date: Friday, Jan. 9, 2009
  • Start Time: 12:00pm EST / 9:00am PST / 6:00pm CET / 17:00 UTC
  • Expected Call Duration: 1.0~1.5 hours
  • Dial-in Number:
    • from a US telephone (US): +1-218-486-3600 (domestic long distance cost will apply)
    • When calling in from a phone, use Conference ID: "4389979#"
    • from Europe, call:
      • Austria 0820-4000-1577
      • Belgium 070-35-9992
      • France 0826-100-280
      • Germany 01805-00-7642
      • Ireland 0818-270-037
      • Italy 0848-390-179
      • Spain 0902-886-056
      • Switzerland 0848-560-327 / 0848-414-110
      • UK 0870-738-0765
    • callers from other countries please dial into either one of the US or European numbers
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at:
    • view-only password: "ontolog"
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.
  • RSVP to appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.


  • Expecting:
    • Frank Olken (have conflict; but will try to call in)
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...

Agenda Ideas

please insert below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)

  • Peter: (for those who missed the 4-Dec-2008 event and the 12-Dec-2008 call) a review of the join OOR-Ontolog session: ConferenceCall_2008_12_04
  • Peter: partitioning the join OOR-Ontolog mini-series championship effort
  • Re-assessing our resources
  • Tweaking our implementation approach

Agenda & Proceedings

1. Meeting called to order:

  • review and adopt agenda

2. Roll Call:

3. Status Review and Discussion:

  • Urgent issues:
  • Outstanding Issue review/update: (from last call)

Suggested topics to be covered:

  • a review of the join OOR-Ontolog session: ConferenceCall_2008_12_04 - Peter P. Yim & Mathieu Daquin
    • great works presented by the panel
    • lack of awareness of participants from both sides of the Atlantic Ocean previously, but now starting to get bridged
    • climate is ripe for more collaboration and coordination of efforts ... developing federation strategies could be a way forward
    • let's explore joint proposals that US and EU players can each take back to their funding agencies with
  • partitioning the join OOR-Ontolog mini-series championship effort
    • Peter to try resuming conversation with the rest of the champions and report back at the next call
  • Re-assessing our resources
    • Given the addition of US-EU collaboration and student efforts, suggest we get a chance to collectively re-assess who is actively "on" now, what resources they are bringing to the table, and then tweaking and fine tune our implementation approach again
    • (from the 2008.12.12 call) Todd and Mike will go check on possibility of companies to sponsor project and provide some small funding for student travel (to report on their projects) and the like
      • Todd: No (not for now) from his company
    • (from the 2008.12.12 call) Rex can provide contacts who have real needs for an OOR type product
    • Todd Schneider will ping Kathy Laskey and Michael Grüninger and report back at the next call
  • Other Progress updates and Discussions:
  • OOR-related-project status updates:
  • Funding and proposals
    • Bruce still working toward some collaborative effort with Mark Musen - will let everyone know when some progress is made
    • Peter: ALL - don't forget to use the "OOR" label (so we can help build the "brand" recognition and each other)!
  • short term activity and action plans

4. New Issues:

5. Any Other Business:

  • Pat Cassidy: any significant progress in terms of agreeing to a more broadly accepted foundation ontology?
    • Leo Obrst / Peter: from this OOR project, the only significant work is the proposed architecture from Mike Dean that would allow team players to plug in their work, among which, mapping is one of the components that are looking for contribution.

6. Action items:

  • our short-term plan:
    • tasks
    • deliverables
    • Timeline / Milestones:

7. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:

  • Next Meeting:
    • next OOR-team meeting will be on Fri 2009.01.23 - 1.0 Hr. starting 9:00am PST / 12:00pm EST / 6:00pm CET / 17:00 UTC
    • Note: earlier resolution: all team members please (if possible) block out Fridays 1.5 Hr starting 12:00pm EDT / 9:00am PDT / 16:00 GMT/UTC
  • Call adjourned at: 9:55 am PST


notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2009.01.09-10:00am PST

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.