Ontolog Forum

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2009-02-06

OpenOntologyRepository team conference call, Fri 2009.02.06, 1.0~1.5 Hr. call starting 12:00pm EST / 9:00am PST / 6pm CET / 17:00 UTC

... please refer to proceedings of the last meeting at: OOR/ConferenceCall_2009_01_23

Conference Call Details

  • Date: Friday, Feb. 6, 2009
  • Start Time: 12:00pm EST / 9:00am PST / 6:00pm CET / 17:00 UTC
  • Expected Call Duration: 1.0~1.5 hours
  • Dial-in Number:
    • from a US telephone (US): +1-218-486-3600 (domestic long distance cost will apply)
    • When calling in from a phone, use Conference ID: "4389979#"
    • from Europe, call:
      • Austria 0820-4000-1577
      • Belgium 070-35-9992
      • France 0826-100-280
      • Germany 01805-00-7642
      • Ireland 0818-270-037
      • Italy 0848-390-179
      • Spain 0902-886-056
      • Switzerland 0848-560-327 / 0848-414-110
      • UK 0870-738-0765
    • callers from other countries please dial into either one of the US or European numbers
  • Shared-screen support (VNC session), if applicable, will be started 5 minutes before the call at:
    • view-only password: "ontolog"
    • if you plan to be logging into this shared-screen option (which the speaker may be navigating), and you are not familiar with the process, please try to call in 5 minutes before the start of the session so that we can work out the connection logistics. Help on this will generally not be available once the presentation starts.
  • RSVP to appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.


  • Expecting:
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...

Agenda Ideas

please insert below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)

  • preparing for the Thu Feb-19 "Getting OOR Development off the ground - Take-2" panel discussion session
  • standing up a first public instance of the OOR
  • ...

Agenda & Proceedings

1. Meeting called to order:

  • review and adopt agenda

2. Roll Call:

3. Status Review and Discussion:

  • Urgent issues:
    • None
  • Todd: current discussion on [ontolog-forum] is interesting, and is pertinent to OOR
    • among them, governance issue could be a research issue
  • Outstanding Issue review/update: (from last call)

Suggested topics to be covered:

standing up a first public instance of the OOR

  • Mark Musen:
    • will run an instance of BioPortal that would be domain independent, say under the name of NCBO-OOR ... it will be hosted at CIM3
      • we might consider getting that up by Feb-19 and use the panel session as the "Launch Date" - Mark, Benjamin and Peter will work on this and advise if that would be feasible
      • Mark: suggestion of a name welcome -
        • Mike: how about just OOR
        • Ravi: how about OOR and then a tag line describing where the software came from
    • John Graybeal also runs an "Aqua Portal" using the same technology
  • Paul Alexander:
    • have been with the MMI project for about a year now
    • over the last 8 months, trying to bring up an instance of BioPortal for the purpose of the MMI project
      • can volunteer some time to help bring up another instance
    • MMI seeking a next round of funding to support semantics, and continue to collaborate with BioPortal and OOR

preparing for the Thu Feb-19 "Getting OOR Development off the ground - Take-2" panel discussion session

  • Todd Schneider: is laying out the requirements (a lot based on the summit communique, which provided somewhat of a vision statement on where we are heading) and will chair the upcoming "Getting OOR Development off the ground - Take-2" panel discussion session
  • 19-Feb-2009 virtual panel session date confirmed
  • Panel: Todd Schneider (requirements and partitioning of tasks), Mark Musen (public OOR instance), Enrico Motta / Mathieu Daquin (NeOn collaboration), Paul Buitelaar, Natasha Noy / Peter Haase (Metadata / OMV), Michael Grüninger (FOL considerations), Ken Baclawski, Mike Dean (have conflict that day, but will join partially) ... (--updated: ppy/2009.02.10)
  • Ravi: semantic richness on the metadata
  • Ken: already on a funded OOR-related project; working with the Bio-Banking project - since this is mainly with EU participants, multilingual support is key there ... will talk about this issue (among others) at the panel
  • Mark: (on Todd's request) will provide the BioPortal architecture information
  • Peter: suggest that Mike, Michael and Benjamin to work offline on architectural alignment prior to the panel session
    • all: agreed ... Mike will initiate the call.
  • Peter to write Enrico with copy to Mark

Notes below are from the previous meeting(s):

  • Re-assessing our resources & discuss student support with Michael Grüninger and (possibly) KathyLaskey
    • Given the addition of US-EU collaboration and student efforts, suggest we get a chance to collectively re-assess who is actively "on" now, what resources they are bringing to the table, and then tweaking and fine tune our implementation approach again
    • (from the 2008.12.12 call) Todd and Mike will go check on possibility of companies to sponsor project and provide some small funding for student travel (to report on their projects) and the like
      • (from the 2009.01.09 call)Todd: No (not for now) from his company
    • (from the 2008.12.12 call) Rex can provide contacts who have real needs for an OOR type product
    • (from the 2009.01.09 call) Todd Schneider will ping Kathy Laskey and Michael Grüninger and report back at the next call
    • Peter: check out our panel discussion on "Getting OOR Development Off the Ground: Identifying Synergies & Gaps" -
    • Paulo/2009.02.06: for GMU, as Kathy Laskey suggested, this will be more a Fall 2009 project rather than this semester.
    • Michael: have one student available now, and another available in April
      • inclination towards first order logic ... starting up a project called COLORE - common logic ontology repository (the student available in April does not even have to be working on this)
    • Todd / Michael: focus on implementation and functional issues
      • Todd: hopefully based on ontological engineering approaches
    • Peter: we still don't have a OOR repository for people to put ontologies into yet! That should be among our first steps
    • Ken / Peter: this group is still working on an NSF proposal, but we are not waiting ... should move the OOR project with volunteer work and passion
    • Michael: maybe we should explore what is the simplest things we can do in the next six months that could help move the project forward
    • maybe we should do a take-2 on "Getting OOR Development Off the Ground: Identifying Synergies & Gaps" - ref: take-1:
      • this time around we pre-define what we needs to walk out of that meeting with
      • Todd: I'll do a roll up of what needs to be addressed in stage one, and to articulate the 'goal'
      • Ken: I am sure there are people who would want to contribute, but we need to identify the "gaps" that they can fill in
      • Todd: if I remember correctly, Kathy even suggested that a whole class would work on a piece like that
      • Todd will champion this take-2 event - now scheduled for Thursday 2009.02.19 1:30~3:30pm EST
        • 2009_02_19 - Thursday: Joint Ontolog-OOR Panel Discussion: "Getting OOR Development Off the Ground (Take-2): the work begins" - Chair: Todd Schneider; Panelists: Mark Musen, Natasha Noy, Mike Dean, Paul Buitelaar / Andreas Harth, Mathieu Daquin, Ken Baclawski, Michael Grüninger - ConferenceCall_2009_02_19   
        • format: invited panelists with 10~15 min. briefing to seed the discussion, an extended open discussion to address the specific issues and goals, augmented with chat session to capture participant inputs
      • ALL: we need a place the the project (which is available now at SemWebCentral) and a 'repository" where people can submit their ontologies, (which we don't have yet)!
    • Michael/2009.02.06: 1 to 2 student can be available by 1-May-2009
      • will look to the Feb-19 panel to refine on the exact scope of those student projects (however, no strings attached at this time)
      • with a CL (Common Logic) bias, though
  • partitioning the join OOR-Ontolog mini-series championship effort
    • Peter to try resuming conversation with the rest of the champions and report back at the next call
  • Tweaking our implementation approach
  • Other Progress updates and Discussions:
  • OOR-related-project status updates:
  • Funding and proposals
    • no update (haven't heard back from NSF yet.)
  • short term activity and action plans

4. New Issues:

5. Any Other Business:

6. Action items:

  • our short-term plan:
    • tasks
    • deliverables
    • Timeline / Milestones:

7. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:

  • Next Meeting:
    • next meeting will be on Thu 2009.02.19 - 2.0 Hr. starting 10:30am PST / 1:30pm EST / 7:30pm CET / 18:30 UTC
      • Joint Ontolog-OOR Panel Discussion: "Getting OOR Development Off the Ground - Take-2" - Chair: Todd Schneider
    • next OOR-team meeting will be on Fri 2009.03.06 12:00pm ET / 9:00am PT
      • please refer to developing details on the session page at: ConferenceCall_2009_02_19
    • Note: earlier resolution: all team members please (if possible) block out Fridays 1.5 Hr starting 12:00pm ET / 9:00am PT / 16:00 GMT/UTC
  • Call adjourned at: 9:55 am PST


notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2009.02.06-9:59am PST

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.