Ontolog Forum

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2011-01-07

Conference Call Details

  • Date: Friday, 7-Jan-2011
  • Start Time: 11:30pm EDT / 8:30am PDT / 5:30pm CET / 4:30pm BST / 16:30 UTC
  • Expected Call Duration: 1.0~1.5 hours
  • Dial-in Number:
    • from a US telephone (US): +1-218-844-8060 (domestic long distance cost will apply)
    • When calling in from a phone, use Conference ID: "4389979#"
    • from Europe, call:
      • Austria 0820-4000-1577
      • Belgium 070-35-9992
      • France 0826-100-280
      • Germany 01805-00-7642
      • Ireland 0818-270-037
      • Italy 848-390-179
      • Spain 0902-886-056
      • Switzerland 0848-560-327
      • UK 0844-581-9148
    • callers from other countries please dial into either one of the US or European numbers
  • RSVP to appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.


  • Expecting:
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...

Agenda Ideas

please insert any additional items below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)

  • Take inventory on the project, review status and priorities, discuss plan for 2011
  • ...

Agenda & Proceedings

1. Meeting called to order:

  • Mike Dean takes the chair and welcome everyone
  • review and adopt agenda
  • Peter P. Yim volunteered to take notes

2. Roll Call:

  • welcome and intro of new member(s) (as needed)
    • Tim Darr (Knowledge Based Systems, Inc.)
      • have knowledge engineering and ontology development project that will need repository services
      • can provide requirements, from the perspective as a user
      • will help out in whatever way we can
      • Todd / Peter: please try to participate in Ontology Summit 2011 (turns out Chris Menzel is a colleague at their company)
    • Yuriy Milov: still observing; will try to contribute, from the vantage point of a software engineer.

3. Status Review and Discussion:

  • Urgent issues:
  • 1. Prepare and adopt an OOR system architecture
    • define and adopt a set of API's
    • define and adopt the set of ontology metadata (as an extension of OMV) that authors of the ontology are required to provide when they upload ontologies to the OOR
    • define and adopt a core development platform
  • 2. continue to push OOR development and get more contributors
    • get our code repository at semwebcentral operational
    • add CL support to OOR
  • 3. set up policies and process and policies for contributing to OOR work
    • setup clear and easy policies and process to engage developers and have them contribute code
    • build out "gatekeeping" and move from just having an OOR-sandbox to having available instances of an OOR-sandbox and an OOR-production
  • 4. systematically solicit content contributions
    • from the communities engaging in ontology research, development, engineering and applications
    • from the communities engaging in digital content and knowledge organization structures
  • 5. get the work funded
  • 6. regularly review requirements and existing standards to make sure we are on track
  • 7. continue with efforts in publicity and outreach

Key items for review and discussion today

  • a review of OOR in 2010
    • what was accomplished
      • Mike / Todd: successful in getting the word out about OOR; specifically with presentations at ESWC-ORES, SemTech and ISWC-SERES
      • Mike / Peter: IPR Policy
      • Mike / Peter: funding success at SOCoP and DataONE (Data Integration and Semantics Work Group), both of which has OOR on their agenda
      • Todd: enlarging the audience, specifically in terms of getting the Europeans engaged
      • Todd: starting an architecture effort
      • Mike: starting to build up CL support on OOR, with COLORE, SIO, etc.
      • Peter: the team is coming together
    • what could have been better
      • more coordination
      • get the architecture together
      • get a coherent development platform together
      • engage content folks
    • what should we add to the 2011 plate
  • Review: members and OOR-related activities
    • OOR-sandbox status
    • code repository status
    • NCBO
    • NEU
    • Raytheon-BBN
    • Bremen
    • UToronto
    • Ryerson
    • Mathet
    • DataONE
    • NeOn (KMi and STL)
    • ONKI
    • MMI
    • Use Cases
    • Architecture
    • API
    • Gatekeeping
    • production OOR instance
    • SIO
    • Funding
  • Take inventory of
    • the team - who are the players now
    • the resources
    • our weaknesses
    • our strengths
  • our plans and focus for 2011
  • review and rationalizing the "Most Critical Task(s) At Hand" list (above)

items below are from previous meeting discussions ... and will be updated as this meeting progresses ...

  • Architecture-API progress review
  • OOR team/collaborator/contributor status review and 2011 plan - please bring your 2011 plans along to share with the rest of the team
  • OOR APIs
    • ref. the "OOR common resources" discussion thread - starting from: Cameron's post
    • action items -
  • Ontology metadata requirement
    • action items -
  • Code Repository
    • ETA of the going into operation with baseline code? - [Mike: by 2010.10.15]
    • do we consider github (as suggested by Natasha Noy on 2010.09.17)?
    • action items -

4. Member activities updates:

5. Funding progress:

6. Any Other Business:

7. Action items:

  • Mike Dean & Ken Baclawski to get code repository (at semwebcentral) going, hopefully before our next meeting
    • Mike will ping Natasha Noy on: (a) where they stand on the availability of BioPortal install (vcm) image, and (b) is there a newer "fork" point that we (OOR) should work with now.

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:

  • Next Meeting:
    • our next regular team call, Fri 2011.01.21 - 6:30am PST / 9:30am EST (ref. worldclock)
    • developing session page will be at OOR/ConferenceCall_2011_01_21
    • Note: earlier resolution: all team members please (if possible) block out Fridays 1.5 Hr
    • ref. our doodle poll (see: ), looks like we can settle in on two new meeting times - a 6:00am PT (14:00 UTC) and an 8:30am PT (16:30 UTC) (or something in between) ...
  • Call adjourned at: 9:41 am PST


notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2011.01.07-9:47am PST

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.