Ontolog Forum

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2011-01-21

Conference Call Details

  • Date: Friday, 21-Jan-2011
  • Start Time: 9:30pm EST / 6:30am PST / 3:30pm CET / 2:30pm GMT / 14:30 UTC
  • Expected Call Duration: 1.0~1.5 hours
  • Dial-in Number:
    • from a US telephone (US): +1-218-844-8060 (domestic long distance cost will apply)
    • When calling in from a phone, use Conference ID: "4389979#"
    • from Europe, call:
      • Austria 0820-4000-1577
      • Belgium 070-35-9992
      • France 0826-100-280
      • Germany 01805-00-7642
      • Ireland 0818-270-037
      • Italy 848-390-179
      • Spain 0902-886-056
      • Switzerland 0848-560-327
      • UK 0844-581-9148
    • callers from other countries please dial into either one of the US or European numbers
  • RSVP to appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.


  • Expecting:
    • YefimZhuk
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...

Agenda Ideas

please insert any additional items below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)

  • Discussion on Focus and Plans for OOR in 2011

Agenda & Proceedings

1. Meeting called to order:

  • Mike Dean takes the chair and welcome everyone
  • review and adopt agenda
  • Peter P. Yim volunteered to take notes

2. Roll Call:

  • welcome and intro of new member(s) (as needed)

3. Status Review and Discussion:

  • Urgent issues:
    • ... none!
  • review previous action items (from 2011.01.07)
  • Reports from Ontology Summit 2011 Launch
    • Peter: went real well; was able to pack 13 presentations (one time-shifted even!) into a 2-hour session
    • Michael: lots of enthusiasm on the topic this year, think it will be productive
    • Yuri: very helpful, now seeing the distinction between OOR, Ontolog, Summit, etc.; planning to go to the Symposium in April
    • Mike: was there for a portion of the session only, impressed with the energy at the session.

Key items for review and discussion today

  • Focus and Plans for OOR in 2011

items below are from the previous meeting(s) and will be updated as we proceed with this meeting.

  • a review of OOR in 2010
    • what was accomplished
      • Mike / Todd: successful in getting the word out about OOR; specifically with presentations at ESWC-ORES, SemTech and ISWC-SERES
      • Mike / Peter: IPR Policy
      • Mike / Peter: funding success at SOCoP and DataONE (Data Integration and Semantics Work Group), both of which has OOR on their agenda
      • Todd: enlarging the audience, specifically in terms of getting the Europeans engaged
      • Todd: starting an architecture effort
      • Mike: starting to build up CL support on OOR, with COLORE, SIO, etc.
      • Peter: the team is coming together
    • what could have been better
      • more coordination
      • get the architecture together
      • get a coherent development platform together
      • engage content folks
    • what should we add to the 2011 plate
  • Review: members and OOR-related activities
    • OOR-sandbox status
    • code repository status
    • NCBO
    • NEU
    • Raytheon-BBN
    • Bremen
    • UToronto
      • will have a set of use cases by the end of the term (mid-April); references Ken's work on use cases too.
    • Ryerson
    • Mathet
    • DataONE
    • NeOn (KMi and STL)
    • ONKI
    • MMI
    • Use Cases
    • Architecture
    • API
    • Gatekeeping
    • production OOR instance
    • SIO
    • Funding
  • Take inventory of
    • the team - who are the players now
    • the resources
    • our weaknesses
    • our strengths
  • our plans and focus for 2011

more items from previous meeting discussions ...

  • Architecture-API progress review
  • OOR team/collaborator/contributor status review and 2011 plan - please bring your 2011 plans along to share with the rest of the team
  • OOR APIs
    • ref. the "OOR common resources" discussion thread - starting from: Cameron's post
    • action items -
  • Ontology metadata requirement
    • action items -
  • Code Repository
    • ETA of the going into operation with baseline code? - [Mike: by 2010.10.15]
    • do we consider github (as suggested by Natasha Noy on 2010.09.17)?
    • action items -

4. Member activities updates:

5. Funding progress:

6. Any Other Business:

  • Yuri offers his time and programming service

7. Action items:

  • Mike Dean & Ken Baclawski to get code repository (at semwebcentral) going, hopefully before our next meeting
    • Mike will ping Natasha Noy on: (a) where they stand on the availability of BioPortal install (vcm) image, and (b) is there a newer "fork" point that we (OOR) should work with now.
  • Yuriy Milov will help Mike Dean test the new code repository,
    • Yuri will install a working OOR instance and a development platform on his own,
    • Yuri will also present to the rest of the group along with the learning through this exercise some time in the near-future
  • Michael Grüninger will try to pull together a session on OOR metadata ... will report back on his planning at the next call

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:

  • Next Meeting:
    • our next regular team call, Fri 2011.02.04 - 6:00am PST / 9:00am EST (ref. worldclock)
    • developing session page will be at OOR/ConferenceCall_2011_01_21
    • Note: earlier resolution: all team members please (if possible) block out Fridays 1.5 Hr
    • ref. our doodle poll (see: ), looks like we can settle in on two new meeting times - a 6:00am PT (14:00 UTC) and an 8:30am PT (16:30 UTC) (or something in between) ...
  • Call adjourned at: 7:35 am PST


notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2011.01.21-7:36am PST

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.