Ontolog Forum

OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2011_02_04

Conference Call Details

  • Date: Friday, 4-Feb-2011
  • Start Time: 9:00pm EST / 6:00am PST / 3:00pm CET / 2:00pm GMT / 14:00 UTC
  • Expected Call Duration: 1.0~1.5 hours
  • Dial-in Number:
    • from a US telephone (US): +1-218-844-8060 (domestic long distance cost will apply)
    • When calling in from a phone, use Conference ID: "4389979#"
    • from Europe, call:
      • Austria 0820-4000-1577
      • Belgium 070-35-9992
      • France 0826-100-280
      • Germany 01805-00-7642
      • Ireland 0818-270-037
      • Italy 848-390-179
      • Spain 0902-886-056
      • Switzerland 0848-560-327
      • UK 0844-581-9148
    • callers from other countries please dial into either one of the US or European numbers
  • RSVP to appreciated, ... or simply just by adding yourself to the "Expected Attendee" list below (if you are a member of the team.)
  • Please note that this session may be recorded, and if so, the audio archive is expected to be made available as open content, along with the proceedings of the call to our community membership and the public at-large under our prevailing open IPR policy.


  • Expecting:
    • ... if you are coming to the meeting, please add your name above (plus your affiliation, if you aren't already a member of the community) above, or e-mail <> so that we can reserve enough resources to support everyone's participation. ...

Agenda Ideas

please insert any additional items below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)

  • OOR code-repository and re-assessing the 'fork' (what does that mean?) [MikeDean, Ken Baclawski, et al.]
  • planning for an upcoming panel session on OOR metadata [MichaelGruninger]
  • ideas and suggestions (some involving work previously done by the NeOn project) [MathieuDaquin]
  • continue discussion on: Architecture, API and (default) Development Platform [All]
  • ...

Agenda & Proceedings

1. Meeting called to order:

  • Leo Obrst takes the chair and welcome everyone
  • review and adopt agenda
  • Peter P. Yim volunteered to take notes

2. Roll Call:

  • welcome and intro of new member(s) (as needed)

3. Status Review and Discussion:

  • Urgent issues:
    • OOR-sandbox down ... probably need to update to latest version of BioPortal.

Key items for review and discussion today

  • OOR code-repository and re-assessing the 'fork' (what does that mean?) [MikeDean, Ken Baclawski, et al.]
    • postponing the update report to next meeting
    • Dean / Yuri: repository works (population of codebase pending)
  • planning for an upcoming panel session on OOR metadata [MichaelGruninger]
    • date reserved - Fri 2011.03.18 (see action item below too)
  • ideas and suggestions (some involving work previously done by the NeOn project) [MathieuDaquin]
    • Mathieu: see proposed architecture (what I think would be an "ideal" ontology repository) at -
    • Many of the components mentioned exist and can be directly reused. The aspects that we would be keen to work (not making commitments now, though) on are:
      • the versioning element, which as far as I can tell, has not been treated very well in existing ontology repositories
      • common vocabularies to access and describe ontology repositories (OMV exist and should be employed in my opinion, but there is still a lot to do on exposing content of repositories to other repositories, "common APIS" for aggregating content, etc.)
      • the access right aspects, which are a bit tricky in a collaborative ontology-based environment
      • the use of ontology repositories in ontology engineering environments (especially to facilitate reuse and through integrating with ontology editors).
    • Part of that has been partially considered in NeOn, but there is quite significant work to be done in order to actually deliver such features.
  • continue discussion on: Architecture, API and (default) Development Platform [All]
    • Yuriy Milov: should we be architecting (i) just a repository, or (ii) a semantic platform ... ?
      • Peter / Leo: we can bring this up at the next time we have a panel session on the topic
    • Organizing a next Panel session on this - date reserved: Fri 2011.03.04
      • see action item below too

items below are from the previous meeting(s) and will be updated as we proceed with this meeting.

  • Focus and Plans for OOR in 2011
  • Review: members and OOR-related activities
    • OOR-sandbox status
    • code repository status
    • NCBO
    • NEU
    • Raytheon-BBN
    • Bremen
    • UToronto
      • will have a set of use cases by the end of the term (mid-April); references Ken's work on use cases too.
    • Ryerson
    • Mathet
    • DataONE
    • NeOn (KMi and STL)
    • ONKI
    • MMI
    • Use Cases
    • Architecture
    • API
    • Gatekeeping
    • production OOR instance
    • SIO
    • Funding
  • OOR APIs
    • ref. the "OOR common resources" discussion thread - starting from: Cameron's post
    • action items -
  • Ontology metadata requirement
    • action items -
  • Code Repository
    • ETA of the going into operation with baseline code? - [Mike: by 2010.10.15]
    • do we consider github (as suggested by Natasha Noy on 2010.09.17)?
    • action items -

4. Member activities updates:

5. Funding progress:

6. Any Other Business:

7. Action items:

  • Mike Dean to work with BioPortal folks to re-establish an updated "fork" point
    • possibly over the [oor-dev] list
  • Architecture, API, Platform panel session: Fri 2011.03.04
    • Peter to contact Todd and Ken about co-chairing this meeting
    • ALL architecture contributors to populate their sub-page with next level of details, to facilitate the merging of work that is already available.

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:

  • Next Meeting:
    • our next regular team call, Fri 2011.02.18 - 6:00am PST / 9:00am EST (ref. worldclock)
    • developing session page will be at OOR/ConferenceCall_2011_02_18
    • Note: earlier resolution: all team members please (if possible) block out Fridays 1.5 Hr
    • ref. our doodle poll (see: ), looks like we can settle in on two new meeting times - a 6:00am PT (14:00 UTC) and an 8:30am PT (16:30 UTC) (or something in between) ...
  • Call adjourned at: 7:01 am PST


notes taken by: Peter P. Yim / 2011.02.04-7:13am PST

All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.